Saturday 22 April 2017

Isle of Wight Rifles 1

It is about time that when invited to "table" I turn up with some figures of my my own rather than to rely upon the kindness of others. So here is the start of 163 Brigade from 54 Division, 1917. The first of ten figures painted up as 1/8 Hampshire Regiment T.F (The Isle of Wight Rifles) in a mix of khaki drill and khaki serge uniform ready for service in Palestine. They have been training with PH Smoke Hoods and General Murray has taken delivery of gas shells to use against Johnny Turk at Gaza. The figures are from Woodbine Designs and the Lance Corporal is a Footsore Tommy with a headswap. The recent Mutton Chop Tommies wearing smoke hoods will also find there way into 163 Brigade. Another five IOW Rifles to follow soon.

What I like about this group is that the chaps wearing shorts have been sculpted wearing P1914 leather equipment while others have P1908 webbing. That and a mix of tropical and serge uniform give a variety of colour. 


4 comments:

Colonel Scipio said...

Really nice work there. I'm just starting a 6mm WW1 force actually, and am a bit bewildered by all the painting advice on the web. Could you suggest some good colours for WW1 British Khaki - ideally Western Front? Thank you!

Phil said...

Dynamic poses and beautiful painting!

Over Open Sights said...

In 6mm? No idea what would work at such a small scale. The rule is the smaller the figure the lighter the tone rather than trying to recreate the actual colours. Send me an email and I will send you my WW1 British painting guides.

Michael Awdry said...

My goodness they look good Mark, looking forward to seeing the unit grow.