Friday, 17 July 2015

DIY 1/56 British WW1 4.5 inch Howitzer (ish) 1. The theme of GUNS continues.

I dragged out the Plasticard, the Styrene tube and rods, a bit of brass wire and a pair of GWM wheels from a gash 13pdr in the leadpile and I tried to create something that looks a bit like a 4.5 inch howitzer in 1/56 scale. The idea was NOT to produce an exact replica in miniature but to make a passable model as no one, to my knowlege, makes such a thing in this scale suitable for use with 28mm figures. There are no rivets and fine detail here as such is beyond my limited skills and patience. I just wanted to have a go.

The idea, that had been sitting in back of my mind for quite some time, was given a boot up the backside by two things. Firstly, I've had to put the brushes down for a bit due to some pain in finger joints and wrists (age creeps upon us all unseen) and secondly I found a set of  free 1/72 scale plans by Wayne McCullough for a paper model on the Landships website here (just scroll down to the bottom of the page). Having downloaded the plans and printed them out I took the uncoloured plans, scanned them in to the lap-top and rescaled them from 1/72 to 1/56.  This provided the basis for the carriage and the shield. The barrel was fun to make although the shape of the recuperator beneath it provided some problems but I am pretty pleased with the result.

The piece needs a bit of cleaning up here and there which will happen before I paint it, but I thought I'd let you all see the raw, unpainted result of  four hours cutting and sticking.




 Here it is alongside a GWM 18pdr for comparison.
So much for resting the hands. Far better than sitting on them or just twidling the thumbs!

2 comments:

Phil said...

Nicely done!

Michael Awdry said...

What an extraordinary piece of scratch building, cracking job Mark.