The idea, that had been sitting in back of my mind for quite some time, was given a boot up the backside by two things. Firstly, I've had to put the brushes down for a bit due to some pain in finger joints and wrists (age creeps upon us all unseen) and secondly I found a set of free 1/72 scale plans by Wayne McCullough for a paper model on the Landships website here (just scroll down to the bottom of the page). Having downloaded the plans and printed them out I took the uncoloured plans, scanned them in to the lap-top and rescaled them from 1/72 to 1/56. This provided the basis for the carriage and the shield. The barrel was fun to make although the shape of the recuperator beneath it provided some problems but I am pretty pleased with the result.
The piece needs a bit of cleaning up here and there which will happen before I paint it, but I thought I'd let you all see the raw, unpainted result of four hours cutting and sticking.
Here it is alongside a GWM 18pdr for comparison.
So much for resting the hands. Far better than sitting on them or just twidling the thumbs!